with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Perth council vote to save the world's oldest golf course..the North Inch

I was born in Perth, Scotland in St Johnstone Nursing Home as a posh treat for my mother, who objected to having her #1 son with the traditional midwife, in the cottage at the foot of the Buckie Braes and Craigiehill GC where my father and his family had lived since the end of WWI. We came to Canada when I was a few months old.

That cottage was where my love of the game began. I spent hours of my bi-annual summer trips with my mother back to Scotland on a little 4 hole putting green grandad had made in the back garden. Later in life during a return to Perth to attend university in Dundee. I played golf, often two rounds a day, on the little golf course built along the river Tay on the North Inch.

An Inch  is a Scottish word from the Gaelic "innis" meaning island. Perth is sometimes called the smallest city in the world because it is built between two inches - the North Inch and the South Inch on the river Tay.

I would skip classes in Dundee, wait for the attendant to leave the starters hut for lunch during the week at 1130am and sneak onto the 2nd tee to avoid the 50 pence green fee (1972), then play around the flat but scenic course for hours with 2 balls, in all weather usually by myself or sometimes with others I'd join up with.

That's how I learned to play. It's open to anyone, http://www.northinchgolf.co.uk/ and the green fee is up to 15 pounds during the week.. Have a look a the beautiful scenery on the link. It's a par 68, at 5154 yards.

I had heard the city council like so many were looking to slash their budget and the North Inch where the game has been played since the 1500s was on their list.

But after a storm of protest, councillors have voted on a 6 year rescue plan which it is hoped will preserve the famous sporting venue. King James VI played on " North Inch Golf Course " in the 1500s, and Beasley’s World Atlas of Golf names it “the first recognisable golf course in the world”.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/rescue-plan-unveiled-to-save-scotland-s-oldest-golf-course-1-4078927

Looking back I was so lucky to have access to this little gem, I have travelled and played all over Canada, the States and the UK and made life long friends wherever I have gone.

So well done Perth and Kinross Council and to all the volunteers that are making sure many others will continue without prejudice to be able to play at very reasonable rates on the North Inch....and if you are short a few quid, just wait til the starter goes for lunch !

Bryan Angus










http://www.scotsman.com/news/rescue-plan-unveiled-to-save-scotland-s-oldest-golf-course-1-4078927

No comments:

Post a Comment