with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Saturday, December 5, 2020

Frenchman Antione Rozner catches Sullivan to win the Golf in Dubai Championship.. final results

 Golf in Dubai Championship finaResults

Antoine Rozner claimed his maiden European Tour title with a superb two shot victory at the inaugural Golf in Dubai Championship presented by DP World.

Antonie Rozner

The Frenchman began Saturday's final round four shots adrift of leader Andy Sullivan, who was aiming to go wire to wire in the hunt of his fifth European Tour crown.

Sullivan was still two strokes ahead of France's Mike Lorenzo-Vera as he reached the homeward stretch at Jumeirah Golf Estates - Fire Course, but Rozner got hot around turn to mount his title tilt.

A hat-trick of birdies from the ninth closed the gap to one and Rozner took the outright lead for the first time with an eagle at the 13th.

He and Sullivan jostled for supremacy but a bogey from the Englishman at the 16th proved critical as Rozner held his nerve to finish with a birdie to reach 25 under par and sign for a final round 64.

Rozner becomes the 14th first time winner on the 2020 Race to Dubai on his 24th appearance in a stellar rookie year for the 27-year-old.

"It means a lot. It's been such a strange year, we have been through so much all over the world and to be able to get it done in such nice fashion, eight under, it's amazing," Rozner said.

"I'm going to be very honest with you, the first time I saw I was in the lead was when I was on the 18th green so I didn't really look at the leaderboards.

"I knew the game was there. I didn't know it was that good but I'm excited. I knew I was in the final (DP World Tour Championship, Dubai) already, it's just a good way to finish the season. The biggest tournament of the year.

"I didn't play any Rolex Series events this year so to be able to play such a big tournament will be a big thing for me, so I'm excited."

Sullivan closed with a par to finish two adrift alongside Lorenzo-Vera, Matt Wallace and Italian Francesco Laporta in a tie for second.

Scotland's Grant Forrest carded a final round 63 to sit in solo sixth at 21 under, with Ross Fisher one shot further back in seventh.


Bryan Angus (courtesy europeantour.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment