with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Sunday, December 13, 2020

Matt Fitzpatrick wins the DP World Tour Championship .. Final results

 DP World Tour Championship final Results 

Matthew Fitzpatrick claimed a second victory at the DP World Tour Championship, Dubai as Lee Westwood won the Harry Vardon Trophy for the third time on a dramatic afternoon at Jumeirah Golf Estates.

Matthew Fitzpatrick

Fitzpatrick entered the final day on the Earth Course in a share of the lead but after starting his round with four birdies, he held a commanding lead and was on course to win the Race to Dubai.

Westwood birdied two of his last three holes to snatch solo second and be crowned European Number One but Fitzpatrick matched his 68 to finish at 15 under, one shot clear of his fellow Englishman at the top of the leaderboard, and win his first Rolex Series title.

Patrick Reed entered the week on top of the Race to Dubai Rankings presented by Rolex and remained there for much of the day but bogeys on the 16th and 17th saw him finish one shot away from being the first American to take Europe's season long honours at 13 under.

Norwegian Viktor Hovland finished alongside Reed, one shot clear of Finn Sami Välimäki and England's Laurie Canter, with Frenchman Victor Perez at ten under.

Fitzpatrick has been one of the European Tour's most consistent performers since coming through the Qualifying School in 2014, claiming five victories in his first four seasons, including at this event in 2016.

The last of those five was his second win at Crans-sur-Sierre Golf Club in 2018, and between then and this week, he had finished second five times.

He has now ended that run of frustration in emphatic fashion, sealing win number six in his 141st event and climbing back into the top 20 on the Official World Golf Ranking.

"The start I got off to, four birdies in the first four, five under through seven, it's a dream start," he said. "Fortunately I managed to pull away from that and really sort of create some distance.

"It was just obviously a bit of a grind on the back nine. For me it was just about finishing one hole at a time and just getting through it. So managed to do that and finished well.

"I had no idea about the Race to Dubai because I knew where I started the week at 16, a lot needed to go my way. When I saw Lee at second, it did enter my head briefly going to 18, even if I win it's probably not going to be enough, anyway. I just wanted to win a lot this week.

"I'm just trying to improve every year. I really set high standards of myself and I am honestly very hard on myself and my team will all tell you the same thing. To be here at 26, and I don't know what this win has taken me to in the world, potentially my highest year-end ranking, I'm very, very happy"

Branden Grace and Tyrrell Hatton finished at nine under, two clear of Adri Arnaus, Tommy Fleetwood, Collin Morikawa and Andy Sullivan



No comments:

Post a Comment