with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Thursday, January 24, 2019

Fitzpatrick leads packed leaderboard at Omega Dubai Desert Classic

European Tour Omega Dubai Desert Classic leaderboard http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2019/tournamentid=2019012/leaderboard/index.html?showLeaderboard=Y#/leaderboard

After their Christmas break the European Tour is off and running with their first event of 2019 and it was Matthew Fitzpatrick who finished with four straight birdies to open up a one-shot lead at the Omega Dubai Desert Classic, but he has a stellar chasing pack breathing down his neck.

Fitzpatrick made eight birdies, including six on the back nine, along with a single bogey in trickier afternoon conditions on Thursday for a -7 65, jumping out of the large group at -6 and into first place.

"I've just added a bit of extra length to my driver, so it's given me a few yards to help get on in two on the last because I've never been able to do that. And then, just wedging it a lot better has given me a few more chances coming in. I do like the golf course. It's tough, you've got to hit fairways, you've got to hit greens and I think it does suit my game if I'm playing well. So it's nice to be able to get off to a good start and three more rounds like that would be nice"
Sergio Garcia and Bryson DeChambeau were among those one shot behind Fitzpatrick after producing sparkling 66s in the morning, alongside Scott Hend, Matthieu Pavon, Thongchai Jaidee and Kalle Samooja, and later starters Callum Shinkwin and Romain Langasque.

Defending champion Haotong Li was another stroke further back on -5 following a day of impressive scoring at Emirates Golf Club. Nearly three quarters of the field are at par or better in ideal conditions.

There are no Canadians in the field.

Bryan Angus
(europeantour.com)




No comments:

Post a Comment