with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Friday, January 25, 2019

Els rolls back the clock at Omega Dubai Desert Open

European Tour Omega Dubai Desert Open leaderboard http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2019/tournamentid=2019012/leaderboard/index.html?showLeaderboard=Y#/leaderboard

While Aussie Lucas Herbert (63) and world #5 Bryson DeChambeau (66) lead the Omega Dubai Desert Open going into the weekend with the lead at -12, many in the golf world are watching perennial favourite Ernie Els who is rolling back the clock this week, with scores of 68 65 -11 good for T2 with former Spanish star Alvero Quiros (69 64).

Ernie turns 50 in October and hasn't been truly competitive world wide over the last 5 years, including here in Dubai, but his record at this event over his career has been superb, top-ten finishes in his first 11 appearances at the event including three victories, three times T2 and three T3.

"I like this place, as you know, I've had some really great times here. I'm swinging well, my body feels well. I'm just happy with the first two days. I see the scoring is really good. I see the scoring slowing down a little bit over the weekend in the afternoons. The greens were getting a little firmer, faster, but if you get it in the fairway, give yourself second-shot opportunities and the putter has been working, so it's been fun"

"It's great coming back, especially later in your career now. I meet up with friends I've met from 25-26 years ago, and in certain ways things don't change, but in many ways it does. It's just great to come back to Dubai and seeing the changes that have gone on here in the last quarter century. It's been amazing. I'm running out of time but enjoying it."

"We try and play the game to win tournaments and do as good as you can. I've had a good time. I've been a professional for a very long time, and I've got one more year before I'm 50. I'm only 50 in October, so I'll try and have a good year this year and just try and enjoy it. You've got to keep going. As I say, I think it might play a little tougher over the weekend and in the afternoons if the wind comes. But I think still just keep the foot on the pedal, try and make some birdies."
 
"I think -20 is probably where you need to be or maybe even more. There's still a lot of work to be done."


Els is currently on 299 career top-ten finishes from nearly 800 starts as a professional and has won 28 times on the European Tour, including 4 majors.

 
Bryan Angus
(europeantour.com)







while defending champion Haotong Li, qualifier Callum Shinwin, Frenchman Matthieu Pavon and Matt Wallace and Australian Jason Scrivener were all at ten under par.

No comments:

Post a Comment