with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Thursday, February 29, 2024

DP World Tour : South Africans lead SDC Championship.. full scoreboard /TEE TIMES

 DP World Tour : SDC Championship Leaderboard   Tee Times

Home favourite Pieter Moolman combined a lightning-fast start with a big finish to share the lead alongside fellow South African Shaun Norris after the first round of the 2024 SDC Championship.

Pieter Moolman and Shaun Norris share lead in Eastern Cape

Morning starter Moolman flew out of the blocks on Thursday, covering his first three holes in four under par before ending his round with back-to-back birdies to sign for a stunning -7 65.

Norris then overcame windy afternoon conditions at St. Francis Links to join Moolman at the summit, as he also finished with two successive birdies to reach seven under par.

Daniel Brown was the pair's nearest challenger on six under, despite the Englishman only arriving at the host venue on Wednesday after missing a flight from Frankfurt on Monday.

Moolman said: "It's a dream start. I just hit a really good second shot on the first hole. But where the flag is, you can't really see much so I figured it was close but when I got up there it was actually in the hole. So yeah, I'm very happy with the start.

"It was a bit tricky because we're not used to this wind really. It makes a lot of holes easy and some of the easier holes tougher.

"But you just have to give yourself opportunities, the course is wide, it's playing a bit softer, so I think there's a lot of opportunities out there.

Norris also made a bright start, reeling off a hat-trick of birdies from the first before picking up further shots at the sixth and ninth to climb the leaderboard.

He said: "I’m pretty happy with everything. I’m hitting the ball nicely. The conditions weren’t easy but I handled it well. 

"I just hit the ball well, gave myself great opportunities and took advantage of those. 

"But I always love coastal conditions. It just sort of balances out the field because it’s about who controls the ball the best. So I’m happy with where I’m standing."

South Africans Wilco Nienaber and Malcolm Mitchell shared fourth place with German Nick Bachem and Scot Connor Syme on five under.

europeantour.com

Bryan Angus (edit)



No comments:

Post a Comment