with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Friday, October 21, 2022

England's Dale Whitnell leads after 63 on Mallorca... full Friday scoreboard

 DP World Tour : Mallorca Golf Open Leaderboard

Dale Whitnell's sparkling 63 earned him a one-shot lead at the halfway point of the 2022 Mallorca Golf Open and a share of the course record at Son Muntaner Golf Club.

Dale Whitnell

The Englishman produced a brilliant burst of scoring on the back nine on Friday, adding an eagle and three birdies to the three shots he had picked up on the front side.

He equalled the course record set by countryman Marcus Armitage in the first round and heads into the weekend on 11 under par.

In-form Ryan Fox was in second place on ten under after making a marvellous hole-out eagle and five birdies in his bogey-free 64.

Rasmus Højgaard, Maximilian Kieffer and Hugo Leon were two shots further back in a tie for third.

Whitnell opened his birdie account for the day at the second, rolling in from 16 feet to get to four under

Whitnell's putting masterclass continued as he made further birdies at the 16th and 17th to reach the top of the leaderboard.

He said: "I played solid today, pretty stress-free, I think I effectively missed one green, and I also missed only one green yesterday too. I didn’t make as many putts yesterday as I did today, so it was nice.

“It’s a bit softer today, the wind wasn’t as strong this morning as it was yesterday afternoon so you could be a bit more aggressive, and I think I just got a few more putts to the hole and a few dropped.

I was in a position where I could lose my card a month ago, then I had a 12th in Italy, a 25th in France and a tenth in the Dunhill which secured my place for next year and now I’ve got bigger goals and aspirations for the last two events so hopefully this is just the start.”

Fox began his second round with back-to-back birdies at the tenth and 11th before picking up another shot at the 17th to turn in 33.

After starting his back nine with two successive birdies, Fox holed his approach into the par-four third from 108 yards for a stunning eagle before closing out with six straight pars.

Canada's Aaron Cockerill finished the day T26 at -4 seven shots off the lead. Currently he is 107th DPWTR and a solid weekend would secure his card for 2023.

He is in the 17th pairing at 11.57am local time on Saturday.

Bryan Angus (edit)

(europeantour.com


No comments:

Post a Comment