with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Monday, May 30, 2022

Brilliant Kiwi Alker beats Ames, Weir to win Senior PGA Championship..

 

The image of Steven Alker credited to Getty Images 

Steven Alker secured his first Senior Major title in blistering fashion, posting an -8 63 after being four shots back from Stephen Ames, closely followed by the chasing pack which included Bernhard Langer and Miguel Ángel Jiménez.
 
After turning 50 in 2021, Alker has taken his over 50s career by storm by securing the first Senior Major title of the year and showcasing a round that is the best final round by a winner in Senior Major history.
 
Alker won a total of seven times around the world with tournament victories in America, Australia, Canada, Fiji and Tahiti but admits the over 50s game has given him that second chance of winning tournaments.
 
“I can't put my finger on one thing exactly,” he said. “I look back and I go, geez, did I really have the game, or did I have the attitude? You know, certain courses suited me out there. But I couldn't really put my finger on it exactly.
 
“I've matured and it's a second wind. That's the biggest thing, I've had these 18 months, two years, 50s coming up, so let's stay in shape. Let's keep playing. We have a second career. Let's go for it. Let's go.

 
The KitchenAid Senior PGA Championship has seen many greats over the years lift the spectacular trophy, including Colin Montgomerie, Bernhard Langer, Tom Watson and Tom Lehman.
 
First, I saw Arnold Palmer, I'm not sure what year it was,” said Alker. “And you twist it and you see Lee Trevino and you see Jack Nicklaus and you see Tom Watson. So yeah, it's pretty cool. Pretty cool.
 
“I was very, very calm. I wanted it but I had a lot of ground to make up. I got a nice start. Made some nice putts. I just kind of did everything well today. Just the whole package, just stayed calm and made good decisions and putted nicely and drove it better and yeah, and that all adds up to 63.


Stephen Ames (70) finished 2nd three shots back on -13 under par. “Steven played obviously very well. Eight under around here today was good scoring. I’m sure he rolled a few putts in. I didn’t roll too many, but overall, I’m not very disappointed with my result and the way I handled myself,” said Ames.

Bernhard Langer finished 3rd on -10 with four players finishing a shot further back T4 including Mike Weir (72) and Miguel Ángel Jiménez at -9.

Leaderboard here
 

No comments:

Post a Comment