with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Friday, December 16, 2011

Amazing Westwood laps the field in Thailand

I just know Lee Westwood wishes it was the Masters or the Open Championship next week the way he is playing. He won the Sun City 12 man Challenge 2 weeks ago with a 62, this week he is simply in a class of his own as he has just added a 64 to his opening 60 and that 124 total -20 leads this field at the Thailand Golf Championship by 11 shots. That matches the Asian Tour’s 36-hole record, held by Thailand’s Chapchai Nirat.

The Amata Spring Country Club in case you haven't seen it is a highly rated par 72, 7,493 yds with an island green (need a boat ride) 17th, and the wind was blowing today.

His rivals can only hope to play for second place now, John Daly who shot +1 73 summed it up best, " If you said -20 after 4 rounds I would say that was great, but after 2 rounds, that's incredible, nobody will catch Lee the way he is playing, he is in another zone from the rest of us"

There are some decent players in the field including the best of Asia and the likes of Sergio, Charl Schwartzel  T2-9, Charlie Hoffman, Micheal Thompson T2 at -9, Daly, Simon Dyson and although Rory had to WD even he would have struggled to match his Ryder Cup colleague.

Westwood, chasing his 3rd victory of the season, (4th, but I count Sun City as unofficial like the Chevron that Tiger won)  looks poised to shatter the largest winning margin on the Asian Tour at the 2005 Asian Open in China. That was 13 shots by Ernie Els.

It’s 11 now, outrageous isn’t it? It’s still a long way to go. But at the same time, I’m looking forward to the weekend. I’m playing great and I’m feeling in total control. Every aspect of my game feels good.”

“Strange really. Today almost felt better than yesterday. It was quite tough out there. The scoring is pretty tricky. 64 is a really good score. Not that 60 wasn’t a good score yesterday! I hit a lot of good shots again and hit it close. Delighted with two days’ work,”
It’ll be great. I won two weeks ago at the Nedbank (South Africa). I’ve got myself into a great position. It would be nice to win four times in a year.”

click here for live scoring http://www.asiantour.com/livescoring.html


Bryan Angus also on twitter@mummmbles

No comments:

Post a Comment