with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Thursday, December 3, 2015

Top seed Snedeker opens Australian PGA with an 84...

European Tour Australian PGA leaderboard http://www.lpga.com/tournaments/qualifying-tournament/live-scoring

I wrote yesterday about the lack of star power at this week's Australian PGA Championship, well after a windy first round where only 6 players finished under par, what little there was has been severely diminished as top seed Brandt Snedeker has opened with a +12 84 which included 8 bogey's a double and a triple, 45 out 39 in... good to T150.

Having put health issues with knee, rib and hip injuries behind him he says he is back to full health and feels he was playing much better although he has missed cuts in two of his three events so far but he flew down to Australia to play at this RACV Royal Pines Resort course and had this to say in his press conference. "I'm here to win and obviously I think I'm playing some good golf. The results haven't really shown it lately but I'm playing pretty well. I'm playing a lot better than I have been.

As for the leaders it was South African rookie Zander Lombard who dominated the opening day with a 5 birdie 67 to establish a two shot lead over England’s Mark Foster.

Lombard you might remember shot to fame when he was beaten by Scotland’s Bradley Neil in last year’s British Amateur Championship at Royal Portrush, so we know he can handle the wind.

He was quietly confident in the press tent after his round..“I played really well, hit the ball solidly and it always helps things when you strike it well. It definitely got tricky out there, some of the greens with the wind, to read them and get the pace right was tough but I think I managed well.  But it’s still early days. See how the rest of the week goes."

The 40 year old Foster lost his European Tour card for the first time since 2002 last season, but made a promising start to his 401st event with seven birdies and four bogeys for his 69.

Two more former amateur stars, England’s Tom Lewis and Ireland’s Paul Dunne both of whom you'll remember for having leads at the Open Championship,  went round in E 72.
 
Bryan Angus
(notes from europeantour.com)







No comments:

Post a Comment