with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Thursday, July 20, 2023

Tommy Fleetwood leads at home : Open Championship

 R&A : Open Championship Friday TEE Times..

Tommy Fleetwood was reveling in having some vociferous home support as he carded a brilliant 66 on day one of The 151st Open Championship

Tommy Fleetwood loving home support as he stars at Hoylake

The Englishman - who was born just up the road from Royal Liverpool in Southport - had huge crowds following him and he repaid them with his lowest opening round in the oldest Major Championship.

He carded six birdies and a single bogey to continue the form that has brought him three top tens in four starts and he was delighted to rise to the occasion with the pressure on.

It really was a great day,” Fleetwood said. “It’s always very nerve-wracking playing in front of your home crowd in such a big event, but I got off to a decent start.

“I was actually happy to have to get up and down on the first, holing a putt really settled me down and to get that going on the back nine was really, really cool. To get that support all day was amazing.

“If you’re not going to enjoy this atmosphere and these experiences then what’s the point? Make sure you have the time of your life out there.

“Being this close to home is the coolest thing and I’m so grateful to everyone that cheers me on.

"I am one of them, one of the guys that's out there. I'm a fan of the game. I'm from this area. Yes I feel at home and to feel that support, it means a lot.

"Of course throughout the day, you can easily put too much pressure on yourself. You can easily try too hard. But just having that support and people egging you on, whether you've hit a good shot or a bad shot, good hole, bad hole. It just pushes you on and (I'm) very, very lucky, as I said at the start of the week, to be able to play an Open so close to home when we get to do it two, three, four times.

As first rounds go, that's absolutely the one you wanted, and to get off to a good start feels good."

edit **** Canadians

Corey Conners T66  +2 73

Nick Taylor  T66 +2 73

europeantour.com

Bryan Angus (edit)


No comments:

Post a Comment