with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Thursday, June 23, 2016

Rory McIlroy and Graeme McDowell pull out of Rio..

A pair of Irishmen Rory McIlroy and now Graeme McDowell will not be playing for Ireland at the Olympics in Rio this summer.

Rory has cited the risk about the Zika virus, saying it is “a risk I am unwilling to take.”
After speaking with those closest to me, I’ve come to realize that my health and my family’s health comes before anything else,” the four-time major winner said in a statement released by his management company.

"Even though the risk of infection from the Zika virus is considered low,” McIlroy said, “it is a risk nonetheless and a risk I am unwilling to take.

This morning Graeme McDowell has joined Rory with the birth of his second child due to coincide with the conclusion of the competition.

That leaves Padraig Harrington next in line for selection and he says he would love to represent his country in Rio.

Personally I believe that if this were the Ryder Cup being played in the middle of August, a brutal time for the professional golf schedule, you wouldn't see either of them pulling out.

The Zika virus has simply given Rory the excuse he needed to withdraw without just saying " I'm too busy and not really interested" and I would think he and Graeme had a long talk about it before they pulled out. It must be said he has represented his country whenever asked mostly as an amateur

Adam Scott, Louis Oosthuizen, Charl Schwartzel and Vijay Singh won't be there either, mostly due to scheduling commitments.

The fact is that in the world of pro golf the majors, the Ryder or Presidents Cup and national championships, plus sponsor expectations come well before the Olympics every 4 years, and also I feel the IOC missed the boat in not making it a team event.

Bryan Angus

No comments:

Post a Comment