with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Friday, August 14, 2015

Who I'll be watching at Whistling Straits on Friday

PGA Championship leaderboard http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/pga-championship/leaderboard.html

Yesterday someone asked me why I not only watch golf but broadcast and write about it everyday when it is so boring, and I took no offence.. it is a common opinion for the casual fan..

She told me she never misses an episode of Coronation Street, the world's longest running and most popular soap. I told her when I occasionally tuned in I found it boring, and she was shocked, proceeding to address the myriad of storylines, characters past and present when I stopped her and pointed out golf is exactly the same...Once you know all about the storylines and the characters it becomes compelling.

In yesterday's episode, Dustin Johnson did what he has done so often, most recently at the US Open and the Open Championship, made it look easy with a -6 66, out in the calm, soft conditions that prevailed in the morning before the wind got up and changed the course for the late starters. The storyline with DJ is will he and all his talent get it together for all 72 or more holes. He is certainly capable physically.. mentally is another story.

Here are some of the other stories I'll be following today..

* the weather as always plays a controlling factor. Eight of the early starters were at 68, including Jason Day, J.B. Holmes and Matt Kuchar. Justin Rose is at -3. Nobody could match that in the afternoon when the wind got up and the course firmed up and the average score was 4 shots higher. The late flight are early today and it's calm again this morning, warm and muggy and Jordan (71), Rory (71) are in that category. Rory looks just fine, Jordan will need to putt better.

* David Lingmerth is at it again and nobody knows who he is, but you should. He's a 28 year old Swede and his year took off at Jack's place back in early June when he won the Memorial and since then he has been 6th at the Greenbrier, 3rd at Quicken Loans, and 6th at Bridgestone last week. He is currently 2nd with an opening -5 67

* Tiger shot 75, at +3 is T86 with club pro's like Bob Sowards ??! Yes I'll peek at the car wreck as I drive by it today..If you are a Tiger fan, you won't see him again until his invitational at Christmas.

* Brooks Koepka is better than his rollercoaster +1 73. He went out in 40, then ran off 5 birdies in a row before closing with another bogey for 33. He is one of the early starters today I'll be expecting to go low.

* Tony Finau (71) and Emilio Grillo from Argentina (70) are two young players I've been touting all year and soon they are both going to win. Finau had a double bogey on 18 to spoil his round and Grillo had 4 bogey's and still shot 70.

* Danny Lee does nothing but shoot in the 60's as I pointed out last week, he won the Greenbrier in a playoff over David Hearn and since has been 3rd twice, 4th and 6th and he is T3 -4 68.

* Adam Scott and Henrik Stenson both shot 76 in the wind but are off early today and I expect them to be much 8 shots better.. each..

* Phil Mickelson was full value for your admission fee, all over the lot at Whistling Straits but with his stellar short game, rescued E 72, and Rickie Fowler whose 73 included a quadruple bogey 7 on the par 3 third.

* David Hearn (76) but that was in ideal conditions as he was first off, and Nick Taylor (73) because they are Canadian !

So as it is for my friend the Coronation Street devotee, the storylines abound again today at this PGA Championship, what will tonight's headlines be ?

Bryan




No comments:

Post a Comment