with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Thursday, September 25, 2014

Friday fourball pairings.. Opening Ceremony..

Well the weather co-operated and the Opening ceremony is over at Gleneagles, a rather polite, warm ceremony and the opening matches were announced by the captains.
(my pick in bold)


Match 1  Justin Rose / Henrik Stenson  vs  Bubba Watson / Webb Simpson
Match 2  Thomas Bjorn / Martin Kaymer  vs Rickie Fowler / Jimmy Walker
Match 3  Stephen Gallagher / Ian Poulter  vs  Jordan Speith / Patrick Reed
Match 4  Rory McIlroy / Sergio Garcia  vs  Keegan Bradley / Phil Mickelson


Surprises ; Euro's  McGinley splits up Rose and Poulter, sends out Bjorn / Kaymer against Fowler and Walker


USA Watson sends out two rookies in Speith and Reed.
Remember in the Ryder Cup the pairings are submitted blind by the captain's


I'm just about to join Rick Ralph on TSN1290 in Winnipeg..


As for the Opening ceremony Di Dougherty from Sky Sports was chosen to be the MC on a cool breezy afternoon and the magnificently dressed Atholl Pipe Band led in the teams.


Amy McDonald from Bishopbriggs brought a lump to my throat with her song about Scotland called " I'll do anything you ask of me" followed by the pipe band leading the crowd in "Flower of Scotland"


The captains introduced their teams, Tom Watson getting a standing ovation spoke with passion and respect, and sang the Stars and Stripes with great gusto..


Paul McGinley from Dublin, who's career as a Gaelic footballer was shattered along with his kneecap when he was 18, took up golf while working at the European Union HQ in Brussels as a 4 handicapper on his long journey to the podium at Gleneagles introduced his 12 with Gallagher getting a huge ovation from the Scots who all had blue suits on with a very fine light green tartan on the jackets..


In all an uneventful, respectful ceremony but I must say.. the European team doesn't have a national anthem, rather something called "Ode to Europe" as they raise their collective flags..  It's a competition in the making I guess.


So an early night for me and I'll be up early here on FairwaysPlus at 2.30am join me then !!




Bryan Angus







































Bryan Angus







No comments:

Post a Comment