with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Sunday, December 1, 2019

Larrazabal limps to 75 to win the Alfred Dunhill Championship... final scoreboard

European Tour Alfred Dunhill Championship final scoreboard https://www.europeantour.com/european-tour/alfred-dunhill-championship


Pablo Larrazabal started the day three shots clear but struggled with blisters and swing problems throughout the final round at Leopard Creek, carding six bogeys and a double bogey to fall three shots behind at one stage.

However, the 36-year-old regrouped to make three birdies in his last four holes to seal victory with a 75 and eight under par total. That was one better than Sweden’s Joel Sjöholm, who completed a remarkable weekend effort with a 69.

Dutchman Wil Besseling held at least a share of the lead for most of the final round but bogeyed the last after his second shot finished on rocks behind the green and a 74 left him tied for third with home favourites Branden Grace (73) and Charl Schwartzel (70). Only 5 players managed to break 70 in the extreme heat and swirling winds.

I woke up this morning and I didn’t think I was going to play,” said Larrazábal. “I couldn’t put my shoe on, I couldn’t walk to the buggy. I really struggled on the back nine, I have a big blister on my right toe and I said to myself ‘If Tiger can win a US Open with a broken leg…’ and I just fought hard

Larrazábal had gone four-and-a-half years without a European Tour victory and added: “It’s been a long road the last few years and this is where I want to be. I want to thank all my family and my wife. This is a place that I really love and I will come back until I cannot play anymore.

Being a winner again means so much. I’ve been working hard, I put as many hours in as I’ve put in in my golfing career and this is what for" 

Bryan Angus 
(europeantour.com)




No comments:

Post a Comment