with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Sunday, December 9, 2018

Oosthuizen laps the field to win South African Open

European Tour South Africa Open final leaderboard http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2019/tournamentid=2019004/leaderboard/index.html?showLeaderboard=Y#/results

He took a three shot lead into today's final round but after a sluggish start with his lead down to one after three holes, he steadied the ship then drained a long birdie at the 7th and never looked back.

Louis Oosthuizen shot -4 67 to win his national championship by 6 clear shots for his first win in 3 years in front of his President's Cup captain Ernie Els who ended up T15 himself.

An emotional Oosthuizen was sprayed with champagne by his fellow South Africans and embraced by Branden Grace. Those two had a 5-0 record as one of the International Team's bright spots the last time out.

Frenchman Romain Langasque shot a closing 66 -12, 2nd that  earned him one of three spots available for The Open Championship at Royal Portrush Golf Club next summer, with 2011 Masters Tournament winner Charl Schwartzel and England's Oliver Wilson claiming the other two.

Oosthuizen joined Bobby Locke, Gary Player, Bob Charles, Ernie Els and Henrik Stenson as the only players to win The Open and South African Open as he claimed a first victory since the 2016 ISPS HANDA Perth International.
 
"I knew today was either going to be very special or heartbreaking. I know there's only a few that have won The Open and the SA Open so I'm very chuffed to have my name on this. We had a tough start today and my caddie just told me, 'you're swinging it well, just go for it'. I just got back to basics, to try and hit fairways and greens. I know I'm putting well, I just needed to give myself putting opportunities for birdie."
 
This feels very special. This is perfect.”

Bryan Angus
(europeantour.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment