with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Saturday, June 24, 2023

Renewed Dutchman Luiten leads BMW International in Germany...Saturday results..

 DP World Tour : BMW International Championship ..Hillier bounced back from his double-bogey with a birdie on the 14th in a 71 that left him two shots ahead of Japan's Rikuya Hoshino, home favourite Maximilian Schmitt and Finn Sami Välimäki.

Joost Luiten in driving seat at BMW International Open

Hillier bounced back from his double-bogey with a birdie on the 14th in a 71 that left him two shots ahead of Japan's Rikuya Hoshino, home favourite Maximilian Schmitt and Finn Sami Välimäki.

Scotsman Connor Syme made it three holes-in-one in three days and 27 in as many events this season as he holed a five-iron from 220 yards on the second.

Scotsman Connor Syme made it three holes-in-one in three days and 27 in as many events this season as he holed a five-iron from 220 yards on the second.

Holland's Joost Luiten matched his lowest round of the season on day three of the BMW International Open to take a three-shot lead into the final round at Golfclub München Eichenried.

The Dutchman was bogey-free in carding a 65 that moved him to 14 under and it will be a Dutch double in the final round on Sunday, with countryman Daan Huizing his nearest challenger after a 66.

Kiwi Daniel Hillier, South African Thriston Lawrence and Ryder Cup vice captain Edoardo Molinari were then at ten under but all eyes will be on Luiten as he looks to complete a remarkable comeback in 2023.

The 37-year-old is a six-time winner on the DP World Tour but the last of those came in 2018 and he is playing on a career money exemption this season after finishing 126th on the 2022 Rankings, his first season outside the top 90 since 2009.

His form this year has made a mockery of that, however, with him sitting 22nd in the Race to Dubai Rankings in Partnership with Rolex after three top threes and just one missed cut in 15 starts coming into this week.

A victory on Sunday and he may even start dreaming of a Ryder Cup debut after narrowly missing out in 2014, and Luiten puts much of the credit for his resurgence with coach Jamie Gough.

"Since I've been working with Jamie, I have so much variety in shot options, especially when it's windy like yesterday," he said. "That's when I've struggled and now I can control the ball a lot more. I have a low ball flight in the bag now and I think that helps me a lot.

"Everything feels really solid and that's definitely thanks to Jamie.

"Today was pretty much flawless. I didn't really get into trouble that much and if I did miss the fairway I hit a great shot and still created a birdie chance. I made some nice birdies coming down the last four or five holes and it was nice.

"It would mean a lot to me to win but that's not just me, that's everybody. We've got another 18 holes here and I need to keep my head cool, hit some shots like I did today and we'll see what happens. I'll try to play shot by shot like I did today."

Hillier bounced back from his double-bogey with a birdie on the 14th in a 71 that left him two shots ahead of Japan's Rikuya Hoshino, home favourite Maximilian Schmitt and Finn Sami Välimäki.

Scotsman Connor Syme made it three holes-in-one in three days and 27 in as many events this season as he holed a five-iron from 220 yards on the second.

europeantour.com

Bryan Angus (edit)


No comments:

Post a Comment