with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Monday, September 28, 2015

Two "J's" at the top of my list..

I was working late all weekend as usual, and when I do I have lot's of time on my own to absorb what's going on  in golf, sports, news, life in general, and for a guy who has spent the last 25 years covering sports as a broadcaster, producer, and writer this time of year has so many stories going on at once it's hard to keep up with them all.

After another sun drenched weekend two young men are at the top of my list this rainy Monday morning.

Jordan Spieth capped off his dream season with a four shot win at the Tour Championship. At 22 he is the world #1, the tour MVP, has the tour's lowest scoring average, has won $22 million this year alone winning 5 times including the Masters and the US Open, and is about to lead his country into the Presidents Cup in South Korea.

He can stop playing all together today and will have had a great career for most of the professional golfers who are his peers. Most impressive for me in this world of me, me, me pro athletes, is his demeanour.

What a great example and credit he is for the game. There he was with his family front and center, first and foremost, quietly confident, polite, smart, a loving son and brother.. refreshing isn't he!

Josh Donaldson hit yet another walk off  home run in front of a suddenly sold out Rogers Center as the Blue Jays swept the Rays and head off on the road to Baltimore and Tampa again as they strive to win the league championship.

I remember an Oakland team mate being interviewed at Spring Training lamenting the fact that the A's brass had just traded away their best player. He is having a career year, playing incredible 3rd base, has hit 41 homeruns as I speak, driven in over 100 runs and counting, coming through in the clutch time after time, making the selection of league MVP an easy one for the voters.

I will not anoint him the best Jay ever as many have already, let him play out his career and he may well be that. Robbie Alomar was pretty damn good and has 2 World Series during his magical career here in Toronto.

My colleague Scott Metcalfe, so long the news director at 680 News once said that sports is a great and important diversion in our lives and as we consider all the serious problems we face in our lives, big and small he is right.

I am glad to have  these two "J's" providing us all with great diversions this morning and for years to come..

Bryan Angus

No comments:

Post a Comment