with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Thursday, October 17, 2019

Happy 50th to "The big Easy"

We all have a list of our favourites when it comes to golf and for a variety of reasons.

Today "The big Easy" Ernie Els turns 50 and I think it's fair to say he's one guy who is on most of them.

With my Scottish ancestry I was born with golf in my blood and I remember spending hours as a 6 year old on holiday at my grandpa's home made putting green with his hickory shafted putter as my lifetime love of the game began.

TV brought us Arnie Palmer (or vice versa ) in the early 60's and like so many boomers he became our hero with his go for broke style and his humble nature.

Lee Trevino the ultimate entertainer followed as did Gary Player and several others back in the day.

Somewhere in around the early 1990's another South African with the most beautiful, fluid swing and a relaxed laid back personality to match won over our hearts.

He hit it a mile without trying making it look effortless or easy.."The big Easy" had arrived. A true gentle giant he had the misfortune of being in his prime when Tiger Woods was in his or he would have won more majors than he did.

Like Gary Player before him, Ernie has logged millions of air miles from his home in South Africa and although he also has residences in London and the Bahamas his appeal is truly worldwide as a result.

I once asked him at our Canadian Open why he continues to travel the world as much and he summed it up perfectly.." I'm so fortunate to have so many of you as fans and friends where ever I go why wouldn't I "

There must be a few guys on the Champions Tour who aren't as happy for Ernie as we are today but to be honest playing as well as he is I'm not sure he's going to play that much on their circuit....yet.

Happy birthday Ernie..thanks for all the joy you've brought to our lives over the years..and I look forward to many more.

Bryan Angus


No comments:

Post a Comment