with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Friday, December 2, 2022

Record round by Adam Scott surges into tie for lead at Australian Open...full scoreboard

 DP World Tour: ISPS Handa Australian Open Leaderboard

Adam Scott eagled the last in a brilliant course-record-equalling 63 to share the lead with David Micheluzzi heading into the weekend at the ISPS HANDA Australian Open

CHARLOTTE, NORTH CAROLINA - SEPTEMBER 25: Adam Scott of Australia and the International Team walks the seventh green during Sunday singles matches on day four of the 2022 Presidents Cup at Quail Hollow Country Club on September 25, 2022 in Charlotte, North Carolina. (Photo by Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images)

Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images

The 2009 champion had started the day six shots behind fellow home favourite and overnight leader Micheluzzi but carded five birdies and that closing eagle at Victoria Golf Club to soar to the summit at eight under.

Micheluzzi had maintained his three-shot advantage for much of the day but bogeyed the 16th and last at Kingston Heath Golf Club to sign for a 71.

Australia's Haydn Barron, Kiwi Josh Geary and American Gunner Wiebe were the nearest challengers three shots back.

Home favourite Hannah Green leads the women's event on 11 under, while World Number One Kipp Popert has a one stroke advantage over Ireland's Brendan Lawlor in the Australian All Abilities Championship @ the ISPS HANDA Australian Open - the opening event of the 2023 G4D Tour season.

Scott admitted he had been frustrated with his 71 on day one but was glad to harness all his experience as he looks for DP World Tour win number 12 and a second on home soil.

"It’s not the first time I’ve played terrible obviously but it is frustrating because I’m out playing in a tournament, the Australian Open, and I want to play well," he said.

"Yes, it’s frustrating but using the experience, I’ve had plenty of bad rounds in my career and had to come out the next day.

"I also pride myself on kind of not throwing in the towel. I don’t rack up big numbers too often and I also don’t withdraw playing bad, so I’m here to win the tournament this week and it can turn around quick. I have that experience as well and it did today.

"Hopefully I can keep running in this direction tomorrow. It’s always nice when the tournament can take a lot of players out of it.

"If I can play well tomorrow and anyone else can come with and it’s only a few guys in it, that’d be a great position for Sunday. Then maybe I have some advantage from experience."

Micheluzzi was relishing the chance to play in the final group on Saturday with 2013 Masters Tournament Champion Scott and was proud of himself for staying under par in round two.

"It was a grind," he said. "I didn't hit it my best. Definitely not like yesterday. All in all I'm pretty happy with the way I ground it out.

"The way I hit it was awful so to shoot under par around this course that scares the living daylights out of me, I'm pretty happy.

"It's one of the things I've dreamed of. Australian Open with Scotty, it will be insane. The amount of people that will be there and all that will be pretty cool. I'm just looking forward to it.

"I'm just going to go out and play some golf. If it's good enough it's good enough, if not, won't stress. I know I'm playing good golf going into next year or going into the next couple of events after this. I'll just keep plugging away at it and if it happens it happens. If not, then so be it, go on to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment