with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Thursday, February 3, 2022

Matteo Manassero 62 leads star studded Saudi International....Notable scores...live scoreboard

 Asian Tour : Saudi International Thursday SUMMARY

Matteo Manassero rekindled some of the magic from his glory days to take the  lead after the first round of the PIF Saudi International powered by SoftBank Investment Advisers.


The Italian now ranked 395 in the world, shot a sizzling eight-under-par 62 at Royal Greens Golf & Country Club in what is the opening event of the Asian Tour’s 2022-23 season.

England’s Sam Horsfield, Bubba Watson and Adri Arnaus from Spain carded 64s while newly crowned Asian Tour Order of Merit champion Joohyung Kim from Korea, American Dustin Johnson, the defending champion, and Thailand’s Phachara Khongwatmai came in with 65s.

Manassero has struggled with his game over the past 10 years, following a stunning start to his career as a teenager, but today’s performance in the star-studded US$5 million event suggests better days are ahead.

He toured the front nine in six-under-par 29 with six birdies before two birdies on the homeward stretch.

“It was one of those days in which everything was going my way,” said the Italian.

“I was playing really solid, giving myself a lot of birdie chances, a lot of really short ones, as well. So just got the round going and just felt comfortable. That’s the right word, I guess.”

The 28-year-old’s last big win came in 2013 at the BMW PGA Championship – which was his fourth success on the European Tour in the space of three years.

He added: “I’m curious to see what 2022 has for me. I worked really well, and I’m happy with the work I’ve done. Obviously, it started really good. There’s going to be some lows, there’s going to be some ups, but I’m ready for it and see what happens.”

Joohyung Kim, paired with Johnson, the winner of this event in 2019 and 2021, also made a fine start despite some nerves early on.

I think I had some nerves in the first couple holes. You saw that roller coaster ride. But got into a good mindset. I felt calm after a couple holes, and obviously I know I was birdieing. Just stuck in there, and yeah, great round,” said the Korean.

The 19-year-old rising star secured the Merit list last month by winning the Tour’s penultimate event, The Singapore International, before tying for second in the Singapore Open.

“I hope the TV got my smiles because I was having the time of my life. It was awesome playing with those guys, and just a great experience,” he added.

“I told myself there’s a reason I’m playing with these guys, and I know I worked really hard to get to this point. I prepped really well this week, and I just told myself just be confident and don’t be afraid and just hit your shots, and I think that’s what I did.

Canadian Richard T Lee who plays on the Asian Tour opened with -4 66.

Notable scores : Americans Dustin Johnson (65) the defending champion and 2019 winner – Bryson DeChambeau (73), and Xander Schauffele (67), all in the top-10 on the Official World Golf Ranking, are competing as well as six-time Major champion Phil Mickelson (67) Northern Ireland’s Graeme McDowell (73), the 2020 winner. 

Spaniard Sergio Garcia (70), Henrik Stenson (66), Patrick Reed (66), Tyrrell Hatton (67), Tony Finau (68), Marc Leishman (74) and Shane Lowry (68)

Lee Westwood (71), Paul Casey (68), Tommy Fleetwood (66), and Ian Poulter (68), Harold Varner (64), Thomas Pieters (73), Cam Smith (66), Joaquin Niemann (65) amongst the familiar names who have all signed up for the lucrative appearance fees on offer from the Saudi organizers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment