with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Thursday, July 29, 2021

Connors, Hughes in the pack T20 after first round at Tokyo 2020... full scoreboard

 Tokyo 2020: Men's Golf leaderboard here

In the Men's Golf preview the hot humid weather expected for Tokyo reached 39*causing tennis star Alex Medvedev to require emergency treatment on court before he passed out.


Corey Connors and Mac Hughes ended the opening day in a large pack at 69 -2, T20 six shots behind leader Austrian Sepp Straka who made all his putts in a bogey free -8 63.

Connors got his round done with a birdie on the18th, before the dangerous weather set in for over 2 hours.

" I drove the ball really well, but was just a bit off with my irons and didn't give myself opportunities for birdie with them, but I know the way I'm driving it Ill give myself lots of chances, and am looking forward to the next 3 days."

He admits he was tentative on the soft greens, "they are in immaculate condition but there's a lot of slope on them, so they were rolling a bit quicker today and I didn't want to get greedy out there and jam them by, so I had to be cautious on some putts

Hughes had 2 birdies and a bogey to turn -1, and did the same on the back, although he had to wait with 3 holes to play for the weather delay.

"I was playing nicely before the delay, didn't feel the same after it, but overall a decent start, didn't put myself out of it. So the next 2 days will be important to give myself a chance on Sunday. I know I played well enough to shoot 5 or 6 under, a few putts here and there and you're right back in it."

Connors is off at 10.36 today, Hughes earlier at 7.52 local time. 

Weather: More hot humid weather with rain and T'Storms expected both today and over the weekend. 31* feeling like 40*c.

When you check the leaderboard I've listed above, you'll see what a truly Olympic flavour it has with Austria on top. Thailand, Jazz Janewattananond 64, Belgium, with Thomas Pieters 65, Mexico, Carlos Ortiz 65, Denmark, Joachim Hansen 66 and so forth. 

The top Americans T12 -3 68 Xander Schauffele and Patrick Reed, then you'll find Rory McIlroy in that big pack with our Canadians at T20 -2 69.

Bryan Angus 




 


No comments:

Post a Comment