with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Sunday, May 28, 2017

Alex Noren shoots 10 under par 62 to win the BMW PGA Championship

European Tour BMW PGA Championship final leaderboard https://www.europeantour.com/en/europeantour/tournaments/2017/bmw-pga-championship/#leaderboard

" This is the best round I have ever played" the words of Alex Noren from Sweden, who has just won the prestigious BMW PGA Championship with an incredible course record -10 62 including the icing on the cake, a huge drawing 5 iron to within 6 feet for an eagle 3 on the 72nd hole which will be on all the highlight reels tonight.

He started the day at -1, seven shots behind the Aussie leader Andrew Dodt and went out in 31 shots. Then on a course on which he admits he's always had trouble with the closing holes, he played the final 7 in -6 for another 31, and that 62 for the clubhouse lead at -11.

Then the rain came, not heavy, but enough to soak the course including the rough, and changing the speed of the greens.

It also changed the momentum of all the leaders. Dodt, Branden Grace, Lee Westwood all shot 73's to fall out of contention. In the end, Francesco Molinari with a -4 68 came 2nd at -9, while Henrik Stenson (68), Nicolas Colsaerts (65) and Hideto Tanihari (68) all T3 at -8.

Noren the first Swedish winner of this event in it's 72 year history, gets a 5 year exemption on the European Tour, a 3 year exemption into the Open, becomes the 3rd most winning Swede with 9 wins, behind Stenson and Robert Karlsson with 11 each and he will be ranked 8th in the world on Tuesday.

He has worked as hard as anyone after recovering from a serious wrist injury after falling to #700 in world, and as a result he takes home $1,166,660 in this new lucrative Rolex Series.

"The difference for my game is that I finally have found the Calloway Epic driver which I can trust to hit it where I am aiming, and I never had that before. Now I don't have to worry about big misses right or wild hooks and I can relax. Putting has always been the strength of my game, and I used to have to rely on that to score".

As it happens the next stop on this European Tour is the Nordea Masters... you guessed it... in Sweden !!


Bryan Angus

No comments:

Post a Comment