with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Sunday, September 1, 2024

Niklas Norgaard first win on DP World Tour

 DP World Tour : Betfred British Masters Results

Niklas Nørgaard held his nerve to clinch his maiden DP World Tour title by two shots at the 2024 Betfred British Masters hosted by Sir Nick Faldo.

Norgaard Faldo-2169752818

The 32-year-old has had his best season since graduating from the European Challenge Tour in 2022 after a runner-up spot at the Soudal Open in May before coming home in fourth at the European Open the following week.

Nørgaard was the co-leader after 54 holes in this event last year before eventually finishing in seventh, and he put himself in the same position albeit on his own and with a four-shot advantage heading into Sunday's final round at The Belfry.

South Africa's Thriston Lawrence closed the gap to within one just after the turn, but two birdies in three holes saw the Dane regain his four-shot lead with four holes remaining.

A double-bogey seven increased the heart rate with Lawrence sat two behind before calming himself with a par-birdie-par finish to secure victory at -16

"Very, very good. Since I started playing golf at 10, this is what I've been dreaming of. The scene here is something, it means the world," an emotional Nørgaard said after his final round of 72.

"It's my mum, my dad, my sister, my wife. They have sacrificed a lot, me not being home and helping me become the player I've tried to become has been such a huge help.

"I was trying not to think too much about it, but this morning I nearly threw up at breakfast because I was just so nervous. It helped being out on the course.

Lawrence signed for final-round 70 for the runner-up spot, two shots clear of Denmark's Rasmus Højgaard who climbed up to third at -12 after mixing nine birdies and two bogeys in his 65.

A double bogey on the last saw Ko slip down to -11 while Swede Jesper Svensson was one stroke adrift at -10 in sole fifth and Italian Matteo Manassero and Spain's Jorge Campillo were at -9

Matt Wallace carded his third straight 68 to claim outright eighth at -8, while fellow Englishman Andrew Wilson, Malaysia's Gavin Green and German Maximilian Rottluff rounded off the top ten one shot further back at -7.

euuropeantour.com

Bryan Angus (edit)

No comments:

Post a Comment