with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Rory McIlroy expecting a different challenge at Kiawah

 europeantour.com

Rory McIlroy says he is expecting a completely different type of challenge on the Ocean Course at Kiawah Island in comparison to his PGA Championship victory nine years ago.

GettyImages-1318485164

The US PGA Championship is returning to Kiawah Island for the first time since Rory McIlroy dominated during tough conditions on his way to a second Major title in 2012.

He was one of only 20 players in the field under par for the week after battling tough conditions, but nine years on and being played in a different month, McIlroy expects the course to be a completely different test.

It's nine years ago,” said McIlroy as he reflected on making his return.

It seems longer. It seems like there's been a lot of time that's passed, and I feel like I'm a different person and a different player. You know, it's a different time of year. Probably going to be a different wind than we played in the last time, so it's going to play like a completely different golf course."

One of the most notable changes about this year's course is that it will now play as the longest venue in Major championship history at 7,876 yards.

But it’s not the only change McIlroy noticed about playing at Kiawah during a different time of year, and said he expects that the greens will mean more demand for a variety of shots this time around.

“I think one of the biggest differences that I've noticed is it's not going to be as easy around the greens as it was last time. Last time in August it was hot, humid, the paspalum was like really strong and dense and lush, so the ball would just sit right up on top and it was so easy to just get your lob wedge out, clip it, spin it.

“I felt like around the greens last time was a lot easier compared to -- I feel this year they're a little more bare, a touch links-y in places, especially with the wind and the dry weather. I don't think it's going to be quite as simple as it was around the greens like last time.

“And that's the one thing I remember about being here the last time is that's what I did so well, I chipped and putted so well that week, and that's what won me the tournament. I scrambled well, and if the wind keeps up like this again this week, that's what you're going to have do well is chip and putt well.

“But I think you're going to see guys playing a lot of different shots this week than maybe you saw back in 2012 around the greens.”

And while the World Number Seven arrives in form, having claimed his 19th win on the PGA Tour two weeks ago, he conceded those factors mean he isn’t expecting his past experience to be a particular advantage this week.

“I played great here last time, obviously, and won my first PGA and my second major, but just because I did that doesn't mean that I'm going to find it any easier this week than anyone else. It's a really tough test, especially when the wind is blowing like this. Those last few holes out there are brutal. It's going to be a great test.

“But yeah, look, I've maybe got some better memories and better vibes here than most of the other guys do, and that's obviously nice, but not sure it's going to enable me to play any better.”


No comments:

Post a Comment