with Bryan Angus

Thanks for joining me today. I look forward to your comments . They are always welcome here on FairwaysPlus. Bryan Angus bryanangus4@gmail.com



Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Expect McIlroy / Nike deal to be announced shortly.

While Rory McIlroy is amongst the world's top players choosing to stay away from this week's Tournament of Champions invitational season opener in Maui, he continues to make news ... and money.

As I reported here last year Rory's contracts with Dubai-based hotel company Jumeirah Group, and Titleist expire today after 5 years.

"Jumeirah became my first corporate sponsor when I turned professional back in 2007 and I would like to thank everyone at the company for their support in helping me become the player I am today," McIlroy said in a news release just issued.

Nike who have Tiger as their main man, despite all his scandal, are set to give Rory $250m over 10 years to wear the swoosh

The list of players who have changed equipment in return for big money and then have struggled is lengthy, most recently Graeme McDowell who won the 2010 US Open at Pebble Beach changed from Calloway to Srixon in 2011 and had a dismal year

TaylorMade landed FedEx Cup champ Jim Furyk to play its driver and ball for 2011 and Furyk went on to have one of his worst years in 2012.  They also signed Camilo Villegas to a full-line pact for 2011 and he is now off the PGA Tour. Furyk won the Fed Ex Cup with Srixon, Villegas was in the top 25 with Cobra.

Personally I think Rory is so good he could win with broom sticks for shafts, however if things don't start off well in this 2013, you'll be hearing all about it and reading it here.


Bryan Angus
www.nextsportstar.com 7-9am daily
twitter@mummmbles
www.isr1050.com





No comments:

Post a Comment